Monday, August 22, 2011

Cost of being homeless

If there is one thing I have learned over the past month, it's that being homeless is a lot more expensive than I thought.

Well, at least being a hybrid homeless person is.

I moved to DC about 3 months ago. I had a great apartment and work situation. But my apartment sublease was only 2 months long. I figured at that point, I would either be hired full time by the agency I work with or I would be heading home to Utah to find something else. Instead, I was offered an extension to keep working month to month until they had more of a long-term solution for me. I didn't quite expect it to turn into what it has become now.

I didn't want to sign any sort of apartment lease until I knew at least my not-too-distant future.

And ever since, I've kinda been homeless. There have been a number of people kind enough to take me in and give me shelter. I've already jumped to almost half a dozen couches, all the while living out of my few suitcases. Currently, I am staying with family of friends outside the district with 3 small children. I've become a live-in babysitter. Didn't see that one coming.

It wouldn't be too bad, except I don't have a car either. Which has made things a bit more tricky. I have to carefully plan out where I'll be and how I will be able to get 'home'.

Being homeless has been quite the adventure. I have definitely had my fair share of never-before experiences and run ins. But what I didn't plan for was the same thing I mentioned earlier—the cost.

Imagine having to pay for public transport everywhere and eating out for every meal. It starts to add up quickly. I have already gained a new appreciation for grocery shopping. Luckily I have an employer that pays me hourly, so I haven't gone hungry or anything. Not yet at least. The only benefit to this situation is not having to pay rent on an apartment. 

And if that's not enough, throw in the added pressure of being a young, single and LDS. That means dating. Which in turn means paying for two instead of just one. It can be hard enough with a home and car, but try taking both away. Call me old fashion, but it never gets less awkward to ask a girl out and then ask if she wouldn't mind picking you up too.

I am learning to enjoy the situation. It's definitely once in a lifetime—in the sense that as soon as I have a family/wife, not having a guaranteed roof over our heads won't fly.

Maybe the opportunity cost will be worth it in the end. Until then, call ahead if you want to come visit, because I could be in any number of locations.

Posted via email from Let's be honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment