Monday, August 1, 2011

Copy-righter

Most in advertising probably sees this title and thinks, "Amusing. But overplayed."

Most in other professions probably assume this has legal ramifications. Think C with a circle around it.

Most of my friends outside of work/school probably think that it's actually what I do.

Most other people have no idea what just happened.

Which is why I try to avoid the full title of 'copywriter' in most conversations. I tell people I'm a writer. That's what I do. And that's really all they need to know in most cases. I obviously do the whole writing thing specifically in advertising, but details tend to confuse people for some reason.

The only reason I bring this up is because I've finally experienced a slight shift in my goals as a writer. For the longest time, I always tried to steer clear of being a 'writer.' I enjoyed writing and always had a fun time expressing myself through the written word. But I always thought of writers as people that tried to separate themselves from society and considered their intellect to be far superior to the vast majority of the human race. (maybe a slight exaggeration). And I am not like that. I like to come up with and write things that apply to as many people as possible and help bring them together. I consider myself to be more of an ideator (an idea guy) than an actual writer anyway.

Writers seem to always be in the quest for their next screenplay or complex novel idea. Even in advertising, it seems like a lot of copywriters dabble with this kind of writing. I think it would be fun if I had all kinds of money, but for some reason, the huge appeal was never there. Until recently.

I finally had the desire to write my own book someday. I have one idea already, but I'm keeping it under wraps. But I'm accepting others if anyone has any. I don't know why the sudden change. It may be because I've been reading a lot more since I've been out of school. This is probably a good of time as any for a shameless plug for my mom's book. If you haven't heard of ParentFix before, check it out. It will change your view on life through parenting.

Well, I guess I've got a new item for the bucket list. After all, I am a writer.

And I may need a copyright for this one.

 

Posted via email from Let's be honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment