Thursday, September 1, 2011

Natural Disaster Aplenty

The entire country tuned into the east coast for a riveting week of natural disasters. I had never experienced an earthquake before. I had been through a hurricane while living in Texas, but never prepared for one just days after another of Earth’s disasters.

Needless to say, it was a crazy week. I survived, unscathed. While most of the east coast dealt with emotional scars from the overhyped frenzy. I learned that people back east are much more dramatic. Which is probably why Californians and tropical residents said everyone was overreacting.

As far as the earthquake goes, it was kind of a cool experience. I felt like I was back in elementary school going through drills. Only this time for real, and with no teacher to report to once the building was evacuated. All the government employees got the rest of the day off, but people in my office decided they would go back to work within 15 minutes of standing outside.

The media blew Hurricane Irene out of proportion. I understand the risk was a lot higher because of the higher population in a dense area, but people were preparing for the nuclear holocaust.

It got me thinking about which natural disasters would the most terrifying to experience. For some reason, tornadoes are the ones that scare me the most. I used to have nightmares about getting caught in a tornado. And yet I loved the movie Twister still.

Volcanoes are another one of my bigger fears. Something about that lava freaks me out.

I’ve seen avalanches, but never been in one. I’ve been in floods, but never anything too extreme. Tsunamis would be pretty freaky. Blizzards happen in Utah (but can also be overhyped, e.g., storm of the century last year).

I think I've also always been scared of a 100-foot tidal wave coming right at me, like in the cartoons or something. Not sure when I'd ever be in that situation, but you can imagine how terrifying it would be.

Posted via email from Let's be honest...

No comments:

Post a Comment